Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"Dolls-in-a-box"

'Tis the season to be running around trying to choose the perfect gift. I find myself trying to be both practical and creative in selecting gifts for those I love. I have a very special niece and nephew (Rachel and Drew - ages 7 and 5) (see how beautiful they are here) and I want to buy them something they will always remember came from "Aunt Ju-Ju." This year, it seems particularly difficult....but, alas, I have 13 days remaining to solve this mind-boggling and somewhat time-consuming issue.


When my sister Jane (Rachel's and Drew's mommy) and I were little girls, apparently we were big fans of the dolls-in-a-box. I really do remember LOVING these life-sized replicas...and I distinctly remember SAVING THE BOX. The Christmas pictured above was in 1966 (Jane on the left, picking her nose...sorry sister, age 3; Julie on right, age 7, with the strange haircut) and I must have really loved dolls at that age. Even though this photo is black and white, I vividly remember the colors of my 2 dolls: Baby Secret on top had yellowish-orange hair and a red sleeper (who coordinated THAT?) and my life-sized doll had blond hair and a dress made of yellow dotted swiss fabric with a black velour belt. I can close my eyes and feel the texture of those dolls...seriously--perhaps I need medication. I wish I still had one of those original dolls...

What favorite toys do you remember?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a having a picture of your sister picking her nose. Boy, I bet you got a lot of milage out of that one! Priceless

ESnod said...

Cabbage Patch kids. I remember my first one. I can still smell it. I loved that baby.