Monday, December 24, 2007

Mammaw-in-Tucky



On Saturday, I spent the day in Pike County, Kentucky, with my maternal grandmother and family for our annual Christmas gathering. Claudia Stafford, age 92, prepared dinner for 20--turkey & stuffing, mashed potatoes, ham, chicken 'n' dumplings, green beans, cole slaw, sweet potatoes, cranberry salad, yeast rolls, and more. There were lots of aunts, cousins, and friends who joined us. Thankfully, we did not have a weigh-in afterward.

Mammaw-in-tucky, as she has been known for many years, was born in 1915, and has outlived 2 husbands, one daughter, and three grandchildren. She has always lived in the hills of the eastern Kentucky coal mines. My grandfather, Don Dotson, a coal miner, died of cancer in 1955 and left a 40 year old mother alone with 7 children. Mammaw's life has been full of hard work, little material gain, and much heartache. Yet, (and she tells us often) God has been so good to her.

The memories I have of going to Mammaw-in-tucky's as a young girl take me up the mountains and around the curves of the Appalachias to Mammaw's church. I was totally freaked out (and often wept) when the men and women yelled and cried and ran up and down the aisles. I suppose it taught me that people worship and praise God in different ways. I think it's o.k. to commune with God in a way that is comfortable for "you"...and I am glad God knows every heart.


When I was at Mammaw's on Saturday, I took a photo of this Jesus picture that has hung on her wall as long as I can remember. (and it has had a huge crack in the glass for as long as I can remember...) I was reminded of how God blessed me with a mother and grandmother who love and honor Him....and I was humbled. I am thankful for all the 3-and-a-half hour trips to be a part of the life of Mammaw-in-tucky.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You are very lucky to still have her.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful