Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Long Road Ahead


I think we are quite lucky in our small town to have our own music store. Prussia Valley Music Shop of Waverly is in the old Arrowood Jewelers building at the corner of Market Street and Emmitt Avenue. They stock mandolins, banjos, fiddles, guitars, hand made dulcimers, CDs, books, and accessories. If you're a musician and you need strings, a tuner, or other small stuff, this little shop can help you there as well.

We purchased my new violin/fiddle for Christmas from Prussia Valley. (Check here to read about the difference...or the lack of difference...) I am also taking lessons on Thursday nights. I set a goal for myself to be able to play a song or two along with the band at church by Easter....and now I am having doubts. I consider myself fairly musical with my experience on piano, sax, and voice. But an instrument with strings is an entirely new arena.


My violin/fiddle teacher is a very sweet girl by the name of Stephanie Stanley. She has a lot of patience as I make these strange sounds during the lesson and is quick to compliment me when I don't! Honestly, I should practice more often.....I remember when Trent was learning guitar--he played it for pure enjoyment! He played it ALL THE TIME....even took it in the car on vacation. Now I wish I could be that dedicated.



I think there are 9-10 weeks until Easter. I love the violin part on "By His Wounds" and I have already completed the notation for the part using my piano. If I can only remember "raise the elbow"..."control the pressure"..."let the bow work for you." I so want to do this as a way to bring beautiful worship to my Heavenly Father. But--don't worry--if it stinks, I'll stick with something else. It might be a LONG ROAD AHEAD...

So do you know the answer: What's the difference between a violin and a fiddle? "A violin sings, a fiddle dances." "A fiddle is a violin with attitude." And I love this one... "No one cries when they spill beer on a fiddle."

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Make your's dance Julie- PLEASE!?!?!?!??!

T5Guy said...

You need to learn..."You are my joy"!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I, for one, can't wait for your first performance. You go girl.

Natalie said...

Hi, my name is Natalie, I came across your site, and am lookin for a violin/fiddle instructer... wondered where she was located? In Ohio? I'm close to dayton area.. Thanks!

Natalie said...

email, natjs7@gmail.com

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.