Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy Birthday to my Beautiful Mom



Phyllis Jean Dotson in 1944

HAPPY 70th BIRTHDAY to my beautiful mother today. Without a doubt, Phyllis Higgins is the one person who has molded and shaped me more than anyone else during my lifetime. Even though my children are nearly grown and I am definitely at the age where I should get along quite well on my own, I still rely on Mom's advice and I talk to her nearly every day about something. She is gentle. She keeps me on track. She helps me appreciate life's most precious gifts. She forgives. She builds me up. She finds the best in every situation. She shows me grace. She is Jesus, like no one else in my life. I love her so much and I THANK GOD every day for the gift of a mom like her!


Mom and Me in 1960


Mom and Me in 2000

My precious mother bore 4 children in less than 4 years....(wha??) Yes, I was not quite 4 when my sister was born. We didn't have much materially, but I sure didn't realize it. I remember Mom putting coal in the stove in the middle of the night so the fire wouldn't go out and we could stay warm. (Maybe Dad was sleeping???) I remember Mom sewing culottes for me in Jr. High (now we call them skorts)...I liked to dress up. I remember Mom would always make a small bowl of slaw for me at supper WITHOUT the dressing (I was a picky eater) and sit it next to my plate. And I remember getting surprises in the mail when I was in college....a check for $25.00! Those were the days!


Mike, Mom, Mitch, Jane, Me in 1969


Wedding Day - July 17, 1982

My mom worked in the Piketon schools as the treasurer for about 20 years. She retired in 2000. So many people are STILL telling me stories of how she went out of her way to help them (that's important when someone writes your paycheck!). When I see an old friend, they always ask, "So how's your mom doing?" My mother left her mark in so many ways. I WANNA BE JUST LIKE HER WHEN I GROW UP! Happy Birthday---I love you, Mom!

2 comments:

Glenda said...

Beautiful stories and photos of your mom and your family. You're a great tribute to your mom, and there's no better gift to give her than your life as you live it. Hope she has a wonderful birthday.

jaki good said...

what a wonderful tribute to your mom - i bet she feels just as blessed to have a daughter like you!

i love you julie!