Saturday, January 5, 2008

Empty Nest Blues


Bill and I are very proud of our 18 year old son, Trent. He has participated in the PSEO (Post Secondary Enrollment Options) program since sophomore year of high school, and will graduate both HS and (be very close to) an Associate's Degree from Ohio University in Electronic Media in May. I realize this requires real academic commitment on Trent's part as well as often sacrificing the social perks of his high school years. (But, of course, we think it's worth it since it is TOTALLY FREE -- even books!)

Since September, Trent has been attending OU Ironton full-time, and has even landed a university job this quarter, working for the EM department. The experience is invaluable. But, because of the threat of Ohio winter weather, and the 75 minute drive to Ironton, we decided to rent a small upstairs apartment for him next to the university. He will "move" there tomorrow....YIKES!!!


1510 S. Tenth Street, Ironton, OH

I am not sure if it's moving a high schooler into an apartment or moving "my baby" out of the house or losing Mommy control, but I feel like I am beginning to suffer from ENS--empty next syndrome---and I am freaked out.

Hopefully, it won't take too long for me to realize that I am not spending so much time picking up wet towels, stepping over guitar cables, and lowering the toilet seat. Then, at just about that moment, Trent will be back. RECESS OVER.....

PS - I LOVE THAT BOY!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness. I felt that one. I know my day is coming.

theviolinist said...

Marty and I are proud of Trent too...he has grown so much in the 2 1/2 years we've known him...i think he and Mart have forged a special bond...we love that kid!!!

jaki good said...

oh julie - my heart goes out to you - sweet little trent out on his own! don't worry - if you get too lonely - i'll gladly let you pretend to be carter and landre's mom!!! you can even keep them at your house for a week or two !!!

i love you friend!

Glenda said...

There are wonderful parts to the new chapter, but takes a little time to get there. It's always pure pleasure when you know all your kids are home safely tucked in bed. When they're not in your home, there's a sort of uneasiness. Still have moments of unease with all the girls gone, but am enjoying the space left behind (for sewing, crafting, etc.). Great honor for Trent. Congrats.