Monday, January 21, 2008

His words stirred my soul...



Last May, I was privileged to be part of a school trip to Atlanta, GA. We visited the Martin Luther King National Historic Site, which includes a Visitor's Center museum to bring awareness to MLK's amazing story, his unforgettable Ebenezer Baptist Church, MLK's gravesite and reflecting pool at The King Center, and Peace Plaza--beautifully landscaped grounds with sculptures and other decor offering tributes to various peacemakers throughout history.



Early in the day, we took in the "Courage To Lead" exhibit inside the Visitor's Center which follows the paths of MLK and the Civil Rights Movement. As I walked along looking at scratchy, B & W videotape, the voice of the great Martin Luther King, Jr. filled the room. WOW! His words stirred my soul! I have read his speeches/sermons in the past....but hearing that voice moved me to tears. His calm confidence and humble spirit together with the words he spoke gave evidence of a heart focused on others. No doubt...this man was a true Jesus-follower...and, thankfully, I really discovered more of it that day.


I also fell in love with Freedom Road--an exhibit which memorializes everyday people known as the "foot soldiers" of the Civil Rights Movement. These statues look so real as they "walk" along the road, smiling, cheering, chanting.. ordinary, believable people who took unbelievable chances to stand for their cause.

Ebenezer Baptist Church where King and his father and grandfather pastored...ahhh, such beautiful memories. (They also have built a new spacious Ebenezer Baptist Church up the street...) We happened to be taking the tour with an all-black boys prep school from nearby.


If you ever get a chance to go, you won't soon forget its impact. On this holiday, I remember Martin Luther King--and this year I feel good because I know my brother's voice, his words, his soul a little better.

No comments: