Monday, August 13, 2007

Summer Days











My summer break has ended. Today is my first day back to work for the 2007-08 school year. (I know, those of you who work 12 months do NOT feel sorry for me...) I will be setting my clock for 6:00 a.m. or thereabouts for the next 202 school days...until somewhere around June 15, 2008. Summer, how I love you! .....I will miss you so.

Last summer, during our family vacation to Nashville/Memphis, we were lucky to meet Nancy Moran and hear her great folk songs live in the very small, crowded Bluebird Cafe in Nashville. It was so cool.....up and coming artists relaxing as they sat in-the-round (that's actually what they called it) and took turns performing original music for us. Bill, Trent, and I particularly loved Nancy's voice, her creative songwriting, and her ease of using an acoustic guitar to provide such a full sound. One of her fun and creative songs (complete with harmonica and superb harmonies) comes to mind today....it's Track 4 on
her CD "Something Old, Something New" available on iTunes. I love the feeling I get when I listen to "Summer's Day"... (even though I don't have a front porch swing and don't like sleeping with cats)...

Summer's Day

It's just another summer's day
And, Lord, I am thankful to be here today
Tomorrow may not come at all, (Well you never know)

How I live for summer days!

In the morning I like to sit outside,
And wave to all the passersby
Listenin' from my front porch swing of all the carryin' on
And I hear barkin' dogs and ridin' mowers
And children on their bicycles
Going down the street, and back again
Laughin' all the while
And in the middle of the afternoon,
Construction sounds fill my livin' room
As the house next door is going up faster than we thought.
But that won't stop me from takin' a nap
On the couch, curled up, between the cats,
'Cause all this fresh air, sun, and heat
Can be a tiresome thing.

It's just another summer's day
And, Lord, I am thankful to be here today
Tomorrow may not come at all, (but that's ok)
How I live for summer days!

It's just another summer's day
Lord, how I'm thankful to be here today
If tomorrow never comes at all, (well that's ok)
'Cause I'm alive for this summer day!

4 comments:

ESnod said...

You are such a busy person that I am sure you are busier at times during the summer than during the school year! You keep on going and going and going. I love to watch you. You have a smile on your face each and every time I see you. When I see you I have to smile. I love that.

You are definitely a woman I admire. Happiness and joy is something that radiates from you!

Anonymous said...

I love you Julie P. and I'm glad you have a whole summer off.

Sarah said...

There is something about a summers day that just warms the soul!

kitykity said...

OH MY GOODNESS.

I have been searching for that song "summer's day" for YEARS.

I googled the lyrics, just today, and found your blog post, that apparently you only wrote a month or two ago.

Thank you, THANK YOU SO MUCH for this post!! :)

Keep in touch ;)
Susan
http://blog.kitykity.com