Wednesday, September 26, 2007

See You at the Pole 2004




Today is See You at the Pole. You can read a very cool story about its 1990 origin here. Apparently, one guy thinks that SYATP has become cliche' and is not necessarily a good representation of how mature Jesus-followers should spend their prayer time. You can decide on your own how you feel about that...it's one of the great benefits of living in America!

I will always remember SYATP 2004. Waverly had just opened their new school complex. The grass had recently been sown and was just beginning to grow around the shiny new flagpoles in front of the High School. The white concrete was fairly fresh and the "new school" smell was still in the air. At River Valley Community Church, we had just started a High School youth program because we had a core group of 9th graders who were more than ready to break from The Tide. Most of them were still immature in their faith, but were poised for a growth spurt. Call me crazy...but I still think of SYATP 2004 as a spark that led to an eventual fire for RVCC's high school youth program.

That morning, I dropped Trent off at 7:00 a.m. He wouldn't let me stay. He had taken up guitar a few months prior, and I think Laura had asked him to bring it along. With his guitar in hand, he made his way to the small group that was gathering around the flagpole. I drove away, tears streaming down my face. Honestly, I was so moved that Trent and his friends would step out in a display of their faith at a place where others (students AND teachers) could be so judgmental. Three years later, it might seem like an insignificant event. But THAT DAY, it was huge.












































"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes..." Romans 1:16a

2 comments:

steve said...

Oh my...what a group that was (is)!
so young and innocent...and long-haired!

Hey joolie...that's two nostalga posts in a row...lol.

Roogles said...

Good post.

Love the photos. This was before I knew any of these guys.