Friday, September 28, 2007

Life is Fragile


Today, I am reminded of the fragility of life. Jennifer (Buckler) Pekkala's usually healthy 15-year-old brother, Jordan, is in ICU in Children's Hospital in Columbus undergoing tests to find a cause for the relentless seizures which have plagued his fragile body since Wednesday evening. As he lies sedated in the hospital bed, a ventilator is helping him breathe, an EEG machine is monitoring his brain activity, a tube in his nose and down into his abdomen is keeping his upper digestive tract clear, and an IV drip allows a concoction of anti-viral and antibiotic drugs in his veins. A little over 2 weeks ago, he was running on the cross country team for Piketon's high school team. His times were getting a little better each meet. But no more. At least not this season.


We shouldn't have to be reminded how fragile we are. But God does....sometimes. It was just 2 years ago when a split-second mistake reminded Trent (and me!) of how life is fragile. It was September 14, 2005, and he and Jordan Purpero were "taking the short cut" as we often called it across Bricker Road. Bad choice.

Here's what I wrote the following day in an email:
THANK YOU so much for lifting up our boys in prayer to our Heavenly Father last night after the accident. I was so calm in the face of calamity...surely it was His peace flowing through me. God is so good to me ( I knew it already--He just reminded me again) and I will be FOREVER grateful for His great blessing of faithful friends, loving family, a truly wonderful life.
Trent and Jordan are relatively fine now. Jordan took the brunt of the physical injuries--cuts on his forehead and arm from the windshield and a sprained thumb. As a parent, this really hurts to know that my son's carelessness resulted in his injuries. (Jordan, however, thanked Trent for getting him out of P.E. for a week) Trent has some minor burns and scrapes on his arms from the airbag. The car is totally damaged, likely totalled.
I am so thankful for Shawn Brown (Betsy's husband, Lacy's Dad) who was on the scene in about one minute to comfort the boys. I am thankful that it was light outside, that Bill and I were home so we could get there quickly, that no other car was involved, that the car didn't go further down the hill, that Ed and Mindy Purpero were close by so they could get there quickly, that the boys' injuries were minor, that my precious friends could lead play practice in my place, that my beautiful RVCC kids understood and just wanted to hug me, and that the Purperos are loving and forgiving friends who were able to sympathize with the whole incident. As soon as I got on the scene, Trent, Jordan, Brad Frost, and I prayed that God would have His way and would turn this into something good. Just keep praying that ALL the boys (and ALL of their friends) would be more conscious of how quickly accidents happen and the importance of using good judgment. Remind your own kids every day.
Love you all,
Julie P.







Trent's and Jordan P.'s physical injuries were healed within a few weeks. I am hoping and praying for the same with Jordan Buckler. May God have mercy on his fragile life.

2 comments:

Roogles said...

I can remember Trent & Jordan's accident. It was about six months after Jenn and I started coming to RVCC. We weren't working with the Youth at all yet, but I was helping do computer stuff... I think I was at the church for band practice on that Wed night and talked to you and the boys as you came in and out.

so much has happened since then... wow.

T5Guy said...

I am with roogles. I remember that being the first email I ever received from you. I knew the boys, but not really well. My prayer that night was that not only did they heal and thank God for their safety, but that I would grow to know them in a way that I would want to pray for them daily. God put them in my life so that I may have an impact on them, but what I did not know was the impact that they have on me. It think God made that happen. :) Amen!