Saturday, October 13, 2007

Girls Rock!



Last Sunday night, 34 crazy rockin' kids and teenagers from rvcc (and a few of us older folks who want to be like kids) saw TobyMac and BarlowGirl live at Grove City Naz (which, btw, is the home church of Roberta Camp, Miss Ohio....she introduced them) It was SO MUCH FUN! I had probably seen TobyMac twice before and BarlowGirl once, but it's been awhile. Touring around and doing concerts seems like such a fun life (well...maybe for 6 months or so...lol)

I was particularly struck by BarlowGirl--three sisters who basically created all their own sounds...instruments and beautiful harmonies. Lauren, age 22, is a lead singer and drummer (May I say she has nothing on Jordan P., however, except striking harmonies and beautiful blonde locks...sorry, Jor). Becca (27) plays electric and acoustic guitar and sings background harmonies as well. Their amazing lead vocalist and *keyboard player, Alyssa (age 25), hung a bass guitar around her neck the entire time and would switch off as the song called for it...impressive.
*keyboard player envy...

During their concert, the three Barlow sisters take a stand for NOT DATING. I am really interested in this. Although it isn't, it might seem like purity to-the-tenth-power. I am intrigued. I am intrigued by young people who are committed to something out of the norm. Actually, I started a Secret Keeper Girls Club at church for our pre-teens and I love all the Dannah Gresh Pure Freedom stuff. One of the few books I have actually read cover to cover is "And the Bride Wore White." That's where I learned of Joshua Harris' book "I Kissed Dating Good-bye." Of course, the premise is waiting on God's timing and choosing to submit that area of your life to Him, trusting that He has your good in mind. I so admire young people with that kind of commitment.

Here's what I have read from the Barlow sisters online: "We believe that God has one perfect man already chosen for us; therefore we have no need to worry ourselves in searching for him. When the time is right we know God will bring us together. In the meantime we are not hiding in a closet avoiding all males. We are still living our lives, just without the pressure of having to have a boyfriend."


No doubt, this is an individual decision. I know for a fact that, as a teenager and young 20-something, I was too immature and full of folly to have bought in. Maybe that's why I admire BarlowGirl for it. And I pray for every girl and boy with that kind of faith. How do you feel about it?

You can read more about Barlow Girl on their MySpace page and their message board.

3 comments:

Glenda said...

I'm always fascinated in the journey that got them to this chapter. Sure would like to meet the parents. It's a lot easier to understand 1 young adult with that much confidence and faith, but 3 from the same family is really inspiring. Sounds like they're socially involved with men, just not committed to 1 in a relationship. Wow!

anna said...

I think it's great!

I did that for a long time--honestly wanted nothing to do with boyfriends. content with where i was completely.
then jordan came along and i tried not to have a relationship with him, because i didn't want to fall into it all..
God had different plans for ME.
but for THEM, i think that's way cool!!!

Tersie said...

Kids rock too! Julie - the kids' musical was wonderful last night! I wanted to stop by and let you know how much I enjoyed it (and have enjoyed it ever since Brittany started doing them years ago!). You, Tesa and Laura do such a great job with the kids!